When you hire a blogger it can be a daunting task. Not only are you picking a person to represent your business, but you are looking for someone who can help you wrap your arms around the concepts of blogging and content marketing as well.
Unfortunately, many freelance bloggers and freelancing platforms do not walk you through the pre-hiring process. In order to save us both time, below I have outlined what is expected from both of us should you decide to partner with Blogger 911 for your freelance content needs. Whoever you hire, be sure to ask your freelance blogging candidates these questions.
Is it Time to Hire a Blogger?
Let’s Talk About Your Blogging Goals
1) The first conversation we will have surrounds your goals. After all, if your content provider doesn’t understand what you are ultimately trying to accomplish, how can they create blog posts that will help you achieve them? There are many reasons that companies and individuals choose to blog. A few of the most common reasons:
– Establish yourself/business as an authority in your field
– Utilize SEO to find new customers
– Outrank your competition in Google and other search engines
– Retain existing customers
– Give your organization a human voice
– Boost your social media presence by presenting content people are compelled to share
– Network and meet new people
The list goes on and on. And the most successful blogs generally incorporate a myriad of blog post types, ones that help you accomplish each of the aforementioned items.
Understanding why you want to hire a blogger, start a blog or reignite an existing blog will help Blogger 911 craft a content strategy that makes sense for your business.
I am available to my clients via phone, email, chat, video, etc. Basically, I will communicate with the channel that works best for you. Oftentimes, it makes sense to have an initial phone conversation and then communicate via email. You will find that Blogger 911 is very responsive, tackling most issues within one business day.
Who Is Your Blog Crush?
2) When you hire a blogger, the professional freelance writer will want to understand which blogs you admire or are looking to emulate. This will help give me an idea of the tone or style you are aiming for. While I specialize in conversational content, I am comfortable writing about everything from parenting to careers to moving to technology to real estate. You would be hard pressed to find a genre I have not covered.
If we discover that I do not have the skills or knowledge to cover a specific topic, I will gladly refer you to another blogger within my network that can.
Miss a deadline? In a rush? We’ve been bailing marketing directors and editors out for years!
Order quick turnaround blog content NOW.
How Many Words, How Often?
3) We will discuss frequency. A gazillion surveys show that blogging on a consistent basis leads to more eyeballs and ultimately more business. There has, however, been a bit of a shift over the past few years where search engines favor quality over quantity. That being said, it’s important to generate new content, constantly tweak your existing content, and balance everything out with a fair amount of curation and external linking.
Fees and Payment Options
4) I ask my clients to be as transparent as they can regarding budget when they hire a blogger. As a consumer, I completely understand the fear normally associated with revealing how much money you are willing to spend. This isn’t some shady car dealership. I’m more than happy to work with good clients at $300 a month or $2000 a month. I will happily provide references who will vouch for the fact that my pricing is always straightforward and fair. Understanding what you are willing to spend on content marketing will help me build a plan that is realistic to implement.
There was a time several years ago where I was showing up first for most searches related to hiring a freelance blogger. Then all of those content mill/contractor websites popped up and started spending thousands of dollars a day on ads to outrank smaller and mid-sized freelancers. Surely you can find reputable work on those websites, some of it is even decent. But I promise you it is better to deal directly with an experienced professional without any hidden fees. When you hire Blogger 911, what you see is what you get.
The Freelance Blogging Plan
5) After learning more about all of the items above, I will put together a recommended path forward. I keep it short and concise, yet detailed enough so that everyone’s expectations are met — or exceeded. The plan will include a recommended content strategy, sample calendar, starter SEO target phrases and invoicing information.
You might be wondering if there is a contract or legal agreement when hiring me to provide freelance content. It often depends on the scope of the project. For a handful of posts it may not be necessary; for regular ongoing work, it might be necessary. If an agreement is needed, it will be straightforward with no ridiculous cancellation policies or kill fees. I much rather spend my time writing than going over contracts.
Depending on the size of your project and my previous commitments I may or may not be able to handle writing every single blog post. However, I work with every single client I take on and am always available. If my workload necessitates that I need to have another Blogger 911 content provider produce work for you, you will always be made aware. Rest assured, with 12 years of blogging experience I have built up an amazing network of U.S.-based freelance bloggers.
I try to keep things simple. And I know that any of my previous clients and references will vouch for that fact.
If you still have questions about how the process of hiring Blogger 911 works, do not hesitate to get in touch.